Pages

Tuesday 3 November 2015

Home Remedies for Winter Cough: Vick’s and Ginger Brew

Snacks, Salads, and Street Foods
Sandwiches
Snacks and Appetizers

Home Remedies for Winter Cough: Vick’s and Ginger Brew

image from www.flickr.com
Today is the first day in six (6) weeks that I haven’t had spasmodic coughing fits. I’ve been down with this winter’s nasty coughing virus. You may have heard of it – the one that starts with the gripping sore throat, maybe involves fever/congestion/body aches, and eventually settles into a long period of dry coughs. Some say it’s a resurgence of whooping cough. Children are suppose to get immunized.

All I know is that whenever there was a temperature change from warm to cold, I coughed as if my insides were about fly out of my mouth! It was hard to take in a full breath too, but I was basically functional.

By the time I went to my regular MD, she said I was pretty much fine but that I just had to wait for my body to recuperate. No antibiotics but she prescribed an inhaler, which helped a bit but not much. I used it for a few days but the coughing persisted.

My dad and friend Terrence suggested this home remedy: rubbing Vick’s VapoRub on the soles of your feet and wearing a pair of socks. My dad is 80 and Terrence is my contemporary. They both swore that the Vick’s-and-socks approach worked for them and would for me. It’s a remedy that’s been passed around the Internet for a couple of years. Some say it’s a hoax while others say it’s inconclusive. Nevertheless, it’s a topical thing so it’s not like you’re going to swallow it!

I figured that it was harmless to try because my cough seemed to linger. So every night for the past week and a half, I’ve been rubbing Vick’s on the soles of my feet, then slipping on a pair of socks. My friends – I slept like a baby and felt better in the morning. The coughing began to further subside.

I also went to my acupuncturist, Dr. Jasmine Berke. She poked and cupped me to boost my immune system. Then she sent me home with an herbal tonic called “Wise Judge” and a tea recipe called “Ginger Brew.” I was at the tail end of the virus but Jasmine assured me that the tea would help me get over it once and for all. I made a batch and drank it over the course of a week. I dosed myself with Wise Judge too.

The herbs helped but things shifted back to normalcy after I drank the tea and rubbed on the Vick’s. If you got this persistent coughing thing, talk to a medical professional but try the Vick’s and tea to alleviate matters. I am so happy to finally be cough free!

Ginger Brew

Helps with digestion, eliminates clear phlegm and mucous, and warms the interior. Remember to wash the ginger before using it as you won’t have to peel it. Posted 

Makes about 3 1/2 cups

1/2 pound of unpeeled fresh ginger, thinly sliced
8 cups water
1 cup honey
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice

In a saucepan, simmer the ginger and 4 cups of water, partially covered for 20 minutes. Strain the ginger into another saucepan. Add the honey, stirring to dissolve. Add the lemon juice and remaining 4 cups of water. Drink warm or at room temperature. Store in the refrigerator.

Viet World Kitchen Recipe Index

This index is loosely organized according to the main categories on this site. Most of the recipes are ones that I have developed in my home kitchen. You'll see that some are listed in more than one category because they can take one more than one role at the Vietnamese table. Use these quick links to jump around:
Also check the recipes on Asian Dumpling Tips, some of which are listed below.

Vietnamese Salads 
Vegetarian Nibbles
Main Dishes and One-Dish Meals
Seafood

Poultry and Meat
Deliciously Miscellaneous Mains
Vegetable Side Dishes and Pickles

      Rice and Grain Sides 
      Soup and Broths

      Banh (savory and sweet dumplings, breads, cakes, crepes, etc.)
      Savory Banh

        Sweet Banh


        Sweets
        Candies, Cookies, Dumplings and other Little Sweet Treats
        Cakes and other Celebratory Sweets

        Beverages

        Basics: Sauces, Condiments, Garnishes, and Stealth Staples
        Dipping Sauces and Condiments 
        Garnishes and other Stealth Staples
        - See more at: http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/vietnamese-recipe-index.html#sthash.AAOHyz6u.dpuf

        No comments:

        Post a Comment